Wednesday, October 18, 2006

WOOO HOOO come on the Moobells!!


OK I will explain that out burst so that you guys don't think I am crazy....
I went to my first big rugby game on Saturday, which was Waikato chiefs versus Otago (I don't know their nick name thing). It was part of the air new Zealand cup and it was the semi final. In case you were wondering I very much support the chiefs not just by force but because they are the coolest team. The game was awesome and like mega pro rugby and huge tackles, I was like on the edge of my seat the whole time. The game was awesome as I said but the support was much cooler, I found out above the entrance to the stadium it says, "this is where we worship". It really was like these people in the stands were like worshiping while supporting; they were uber passionate and getting into the game so much. The best part of the whole support thing was the fact everyone had cowbells (everyone) because the team mascot is a cow and little children come out before the match all dressed as cows (you can tell it is dairy farming country) they are called the moobells. At almost every point in the game there is a cow bell ringing, but the best parts was when the other team (Otago) had line outs, because the whole stadium just erupted into mega loud cowbell ringing so that the hooker could not here the calls and had to go forward and get them shouted at him... everyone laughed at him, but I felt kinda bad cause it happed every time. The other point of note about the game was there was this guy on a cherry picker parked just outside the stands that I found out to be the local lumberjack, and he is like a legend. He just screams and shouts from the cherry picker and revs up a chainsaw to get the crowd fired up, it was really cool. We had a moments silence at the start for someone but about 10 seconds in he starts revving up the chainsaw and screaming "come on the moobells!!" just to let you all know the final score was 15 - 44 to the chiefs so it is a home final that I am not going to be around for because I am on camp for that weekend. I am devastated... oh well the camp should be fun
God Bless
Andrew

No comments: